to quit smoking
Do you want to stop smoking easily and quickly?
then do take to read this articles slowly. The mind has two parts: the
conscious and subconscious. You might want to stop smoking because
it's bad for your health (conscious reason), but you're still aware
that smoking makes you feel good about yourself (subconscious reason).
However there is a proper way to proceed with once
you have decided to quit smoking viz.
- First sit down and write down why you want to
quit (the benefits of quitting): live longer, feel better, for your
family, save money, smell better, find a mate more easily, etc. You
know what's bad about smoking and you know what you'll get by
quitting. Put it on paper and read it daily.
- Ask your family and friends to support your
decision to quit. Ask them to be completely supportive and
non-judgmental. Let them know ahead of time that you will probably
be irritable and even irrational while you withdraw from your
- Set a quit date. Decide what day you will
extinguish your cigarettes forever.
- Talk with your doctor about quitting. Support
and guidance from a physician is a proven way to better your chances
- Begin an exercise program. Exercise is
simply incompatible with smoking. Exercise relieves stress and helps
your body recover from years of damage from cigarettes.
- Do some deep breathing each day for 3 to 5
minutes. Breathe in through your nose very slowly, hold the breath
for a few seconds, and exhale very slowly through your mouth.
- Have your teeth cleaned. Enjoy the way your
teeth look and feel and plan to keep them that way.
- Drink lots of water. Water is good for you
anyway, and most people don't get enough. It will help flush the
nicotine and other chemicals out of your body, plus it can help
reduce cravings by fulfilling the "oral desires" that you may have.
- Learn what triggers your desire for a cigarette,
such as stress, the end of a meal, arrival at work, entering a bar,
etc. Avoid these triggers or if that's impossible, plan alternative
ways to deal with the triggers.
- Find something to hold in your hand and mouth,
to replace cigarettes. You might try an artificial cigarette.
- Lastly believe in yourself. Believe that you can
quit. Think about some of the most difficult things you have done in
your life and realize that you have the guts and determination to